Here are some links to useful websites and online resources to support your role as a school governor:
- The Governance Handbook (PDF file) is the advice produced by the Department for Education (DFE) for governors in maintained schools, academies and free schools in England.
- The School Governance (Roles, Procedures and Allowances) (England) Regulations 2013 (PDF file) – these regulations are the legislative framework for school governing bodies in England. Further guidance and summaries are available online at www.gov.uk.
- The constitution of governing bodies of maintained schools (PDF file) – statutory guidance about the constitution of governing bodies and their size, membership and skills.
- The Core Competency Framework for Governance (PDF file) produced by the DfE sets out the skills, knowledge and behaviours that school and academy governing boards need to be effective.
- National Governors’ Association is the independent charity and membership organisation that aims to promote good governance.
- The National College for Teaching and Leadership is an executive agency sponsored by the DFE with the aim to improve the quality of the education workforce (teachers) and help schools to help each other. It has a dedicated resources section for governors.
- North Tyneside Council has information on becoming a school governor and the support available for schools and their governing bodies.
- North Tyneside Learning Trust is a collaboration of schools working in partnership with employers, universities and colleges to improve education and life chances for all children and young people. It is a registered charity and sponsor to over 40 Foundation schools in the borough.
- Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills which conducts regular, statutory inspections of maintained schools, academies and free schools.
If you have a suggestion for a link or resource to be included in this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.