This week I highlight new guidance on the Catch Up Premium, a new webinar series on how to diversify governing bodies and information on a new DfE framework for schools to purchase school furniture.
Guidance on the Catch Up Premium
Yesterday the DfE published guidance on the Catch Up premium which details the funding allocation and payment schedule as well as a link to a support guide published by the Education Endowment Foundation on how to make best use of the funding.
The guidance is clear that school leaders must be able to show they are using the funding to resume teaching a normal curriculum as quickly as possible following partial or full school closure. Governors are to scrutinise their school’s approaches to catch-up from September 2020, including their plans for and use of catch-up funding. This should include consideration of whether schools are spending this funding in line with their catch-up priorities and ensuring appropriate transparency for parents.
New webinar series: #DiverseGovernance
Governors for Schools are collaborating with Diverse Educators to bring a series of webinars on how to diversify governing bodies. The webinars will also consider why it should be a main priority for all schools and education settings. The #DiverseGovernance webcast series is made up of 6 free webinars as follows:
- Governance Webcast 1: Thursday 19th November from 4-5pm. Theme – The Equality’s Act and Your School – an introduction to the protected characteristics. Speakers: Linda Lee Unternahrer, Stephen Edmond, and Jeannie Hume.
- Governance Webcast 2: Thursday 3rd December from 4-5pm. Theme – How to make your governing board inclusive – tips for recruitment. Speakers – Adrian McLean, Raj Unsworth, Ninna Makrinov, and Emma Gregory.
- Governance Webcast 3: Thursday 14th January from 4-5pm. Theme – How to make your governing board inclusive – inclusive behaviours. Speakers – Maureen Chiana, Prince Caesar, and Katie Caswell.
- Governance Webcast 4: Thursday 4th February from 4-5pm. Theme – What is the governing body’s strategic role in delivering an inclusive education? Speakers – Hannah Stolton, Dominic Judge, and Siraj Mayet.
- Governance Webcast 5: Thursday 25th February from 4-5pm (for non-teachers). Theme – Why to join a governing body, how to get on a board, what does the role include? Speakers – Karris Graham-Moore and Jordan Holder.
- Governance Webcast 6: Saturday 27th February from 10-11am (for teachers). Theme – Why to join a governing body, how to get on a board, what does the role include? Speakers – Sarah Amissah, Karen Giles, Sanum Khan, Connor Acton, and Sandeep Kaur.
You can register for each webinar on the Eventbrite web page.
New DfE Framework to purchase school furniture
On Monday, the DfE published information on how schools can buy furniture using a new framework from approved suppliers and have it delivered and installed. This will be useful for Headteacher and School Business Managers to look at.