This week I highlight two new free governor webinars on the strategic role of governors in reducing avoidable school exclusions and governance and safeguarding during the pandemic as well as the latest governance update published by the DfE.
Free governor webinars
- Wednesday 17 March from 12.30 to 1.30pm: Exploring the strategic role of governors in reducing avoidable school exclusions – in partnership with Allen & Overy, Governors for Schools are running a series of panel events looking in-depth at the impact of school exclusion. This first panel will explore the impact of exclusions on the life chances of children and young people, strategies that can help to reduce avoidable exclusions, and the role of governors in creating change. To register for the event please use this link to go to the Governors for Schools website.
- Thursday 18 March from 4.30 to 5.00pm: Governance, safeguarding and the pandemic – a key responsibility for all those governing is to keep pupils safe and well. In this webinar the National Governance Association’s Head of Consultancy will explore some of the new experiences and practical approaches that have emerged while tackling this unexpected governance challenge. To register for the event please use this link.
Latest DfE Governance update
This week the DfE published its latest governance update for anyone involved in school and trust governance. This edition provides:
- Links to the main Covid-19 guidance pages that cover a range of topics around pupils returning to schools from 8th March.
- The opening of nominations for the National Governance Association’s Outstanding Governance Awards and an invitation for Clerks and other governance professionals serving schools to complete a new national survey to help understand their views and experiences of their career development.
- Updated school land guidance explaining how and when it’s mandatory to involve the Secretary of State in land transactions, including the disposal and acquisition of school land and the change of use of school playing fields.
- The delay of submission of the School Financial Value Standard (SFVS) for maintained schools due to the impact of the pandemic.
- Wellbeing for Education Return – a new webinar and supporting resources for use by education leaders with all staff, INSET sessions, or for education staff to work through individually.